Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fiddle-De-De

"When the fiddle had stopped singing Laura called out softly, "What are days of auld lang syne, Pa?"
"They are the days of a long time ago, Laura," Pa said. "Go to sleep, now." But Laura lay awake a little while, listening to Pa's fiddle softly playing and to the lonely sound of the wind in the Big Woods,… She was glad that the cozy house, and Pa and Ma and the firelight and the music, were now. They could not be forgotten, she thought, because now is now. It can never be a long time ago."  
— Laura Ingalls Wilder

For as long as I can remember, I have loved the sound of the violin.  Played in Bluegrass or Beethoven, it is beautiful.  It has a way of expressing a range of emotions unlike any other instrument.  Having wished to have learned to play as a youngster myself, I've long dreamed that someday my husband and I would be able to provide an opportunity for our kids to learn if they wished.

That time and opportunity is here, and I am soooo HAPPY!!!!  The boys have a great teacher and are beginning instruction in the Suzuki method (learning to play by ear).  The joy it gives me to hear them practice and to just watch them hold the instrument is indescribable!  I know from experience the power that music has to stir the soul and elevate our entire being toward truth, goodness and beauty.  To realize that the boys may be able to have that experience now and for the rest of their lives is such a treasure!
They are picking up the notes so quickly.  Unlike the piano, I cannot help them practice.  This is difficult for me, because I love to teach, but it's good for me to just step back, give encouragement and praise and watch them flourish on their own.
I was a little distracted during the "recital" by the hairs sticking up on Ben's crown. I'll be sure to paste those down with kisses later.
I love the way just a few notes of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" makes them sway and tap their toes.

George is an enthusiastic teacher.  It will be your turn soon, my little Herny! 
For the past few years we have gone to the Irish Fest in Kansas City.  It is heaps of fun for our whole family.  Steve's family may have a pinch of Irish in their blood, but I cannot claim any contributions.  Our family's love of Irish traditions and heritage is completely adopted.  This is Ben pretending to Irish dance to the music of one of our favorite bands, Scythian.  "Dance at the Crossroads" album is the boys' favorite.  
And, these are Ben's socks after the pretending. Oh how my floors shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment