A few weeks ago, a good friend of mine, Tara May, left a sweet little note on my Facebook wall. I still had all that goobery sleep in my eyes and not yet washed down the necessary number of cups of coffee to turn the lights on "upstairs," so when I first read her message, it didn't sink in. This is what she said:
After moseying over to her blog, "It Happens at Your House Too," I about choked on my bagel. She had nominated me for the Sunshine Award! I'm such a blogging novice, I didn't even know that blogging awards existed.....well, I did know that there were trophies for the big girls like Pioneer Woman, but not for the wee-ones like me. I started blogging with the intention of sharing our family stories and pictures with my family and friends, and to record a little life story for my sons, since I am such a scrap-booking looser. (Honestly, the scrap book section of Hobby Lobby makes me dizzy. Meandering the isles overflowing with layers of paper and stickers fills me with an overwhelming feeling of indecision. And, indecision often causes me to eat chocolate to the level of gluttony, so blogging is a much safer option. TMI?? Sorry!) Anyway, I never really thought that anyone else would actually care to read what I write!
Then, last week, another fellow K-Stater (they're the best!!) sent me a surprise. Kate from "Somewhere Under the Rainbow" was kind enough to mention me on her blog as the recipient of the Liebster Blog Award.
I decided today that it's time to come out from under the rock of sheepishness and say "Thank you." Thank you to my lovely friends who so kindly thought of me, and thank you to everyone who has given even a precious minute of their day to sit down in front of my stories and actually read them.
The Liebster Blog Comes With the Following Conditions:
1. Choose five up and coming blogs with less than 200 followers to give the award.
2. Show your thanks to the blogger who awarded you by linking back to them.
3. Post the award on your blog.
4. List the blogs you gave the award to by linking on your site. Leave a comment on their blogs to let them know you awarded them.
5. List five random facts about yourself.
My Five Liebster Awards:
1. Melody at "Blossoming Joy." I don't remember how I stumbled on to Melody's blog, but I truly appreciate the spirit of love and joy she gives to her family, to her vocation, to homeschooling and to her faith. She has no idea I read her blog, but I love it!
2. Tara at "You Know It Happens at Your House Too!" is an amazing friend of mine. I LOVE her philosophy of "keeping it real" every day - she makes me laugh out-loud, and shares in the bliss of farm life and raising 5 kids with me.
3. "Southern Fried Catholicism" gives me a dose of honesty with a twist of humor, and keeps me thinking about my faith. I love it!
4. Katy at "Come What May" is a wonderful friend I met through homeschooling adventures while living in Kansas City. She is an INCREDIBLE inspiration, the wife of a husband who is faithfully serving our country overseas (Yay, I love our military!), the mother of 8 beautiful kids, a dedicated homeschooler and a sister in the Faith.
5. Debi at "Bella Maria Mom." I recently started reading some of Debi's posts. She is a fellow Kansan and shares her wisdom as a wife, mother and Catholic with humility and joy.
Rounding out the Requirements ~ 5 Random Facts About Myself:
1. Let's start with an honest one: Even though I blog (usually late at night), I honestly don't read a lot of other blogs very faithfully, because I don't want my boys' most fond memories to be of me parked in front of my Mac...and because I spend most of my "free time" smooching Charlie's cheeks.
2. Even though I have a degree in education, and I love to teach, if I could go back to college I would study horticulture. I LOVE plants and flowers so much, that when we lived in Kansas City, often times when out for a jog, I would stop and visit with strangers working in their yards. People love to talk about their plants! I really miss that.
3. Having Fibromyalgia since the age of 19 has taught me that Love is always stronger than pain, and the scripture verse from Philippians 4:13 is a powerful truth, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!"
4. I have a little obsession with the following books and movies: Jane Eyre, Anne of Green Gables and Pride and Prejudice. My boys snicker at how much of the movies I can quote!
5. After a long run (10 + miles) I am supposed to "recover" with something healthy like a banana or yogurt, but I always drink a cold beer and eat potato chips, and that will never, ever, change. Well, the running might change, but the love for beer and chips - Never!!!