Sunday, December 19, 2010

Say Cheese!!!

Raise your hand if you like to take snapshots of your munchkins.  Raise your hand if you like to take pictures with a purpose (i.e. family Christmas photo.).  No hands??  Then you feel my pain, my anguish, my clenching of teeth.  Those of you whose kids have the ability to stand in line and smile on cue go away.  Now.

My hearts desire to send a portrait of my little lambs to friends and family comes to life every year around Thanksgiving.  Where should I take it?  What will they wear?  When is the perfect time to "schedule" (cram into craziness) the "event?"  I'm not much for posing...the more natural real-life shots, shots taken of the unaware are my favorite.  But, orchestrating the "natural" of all four boys around here would probably amount to photographing a post-wrestling dog-pile or a brotherhood "sprinkling" of the lawn event - neither of which feel Christmas appropriate.

Nevertheless, I must try....
"Gee whiz, Ben, I just don't know how she's gonna pull this one off."
"Listen, if I'm gonna smile it's gonna require some bribes, serious bribes."
"Golly, mom, I just passed potty training, now you want me to smile and behave for a picture? That's a lot of pressure for a three year old."
Husband Family Photo, Take 1...
Edits: Sun in eyes, finger up nose, rabbit ears, husband needing nap...
Try again....this time, without mom....
Edits:  Oldest son m.i.a., youngest son needing nap, third child in pine-needle fascination trance...
Try again....location change....
Edits:  Second son exhibiting strength, steadying swing for dad, eldest son looking impressed, youngest son demonstrating escape artist skills...
Try again...mom re-enters pic...
Edits:  Dad's asleep, third son waiting for bribes, dog is looking for full moon...
Try again....dare I???...
Ok, not too shabby here...
or here...
But dare I try again....another day??  Another angle?? Boys only??...
Oh so true to form...
But then, just before the count of three, just before they expect it....
Click!
Sigh...it's all my mushy, gushy love in a photo.  Mom wins! :)

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Sue! I feel your pain with only 2, well now 3, kiddos! Photography is a tricky art. Sometimes persistence pays off and sometimes it backfires on you! Wishing you all a joyous Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete